Monday 31 January 2011

DEPRESSING

Today I started researching my novel. I probably ought to have done this before I started writing (the novel is currently 'finished').

As part of my research, I read some articles written by Nick Bostrom. In case you're not familiar with Nick, he lectures at the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford and writes articles with titles like:
How Unlikely is a Doomsday Catastrophe?
Existential Risks: Analysing Human Extinction Scenarios.

I felt like I learned a lot today, all of it upsetting. As Nick points out: 'there is no trial and error opportunity to learn from these risks' (i.e. we all go extinct).

I also learned people have an, 'aversion to thinking seriously about a depressing topic'.

And yet, none of my researches into the possible (probable) end of human civilization was quite as depressing as this:



More About Writing a Novel...

No comments:

Post a Comment