Wednesday 9 February 2011

BAD PLOT MATHS

I'm trying to stop my plot unravelling as I write. So far, I've introduced all the characters and am about to reach (I hope) what my editor calls 'the complication'. Trouble is, I've already tied myself up in knots with the two main strands and I'm not even at the 'complication' yet.

The two strands are:
evil menacing character, with possible murderous intent
evil menacing character number two, also with possible murderous intent

Either one is dramatic. The problem seems to be that the two strands cancel each other out. Switching from one to the other is more confusing than sinister. In this case, one plus one (murderous character) doesn't equal two times the fear. It seems to equal 'none'.

More on Plot Structure...

No comments:

Post a Comment