Saturday 12 February 2011

WRITING SOUNDTRACK

Sometimes I listen to music when I write. Plenty of people find they concentrate better in a noisy environment. I can't exactly say I'm one of them. Most writers are introverts, and benefit from total silence - or they start writing gibberish. Maybe this is why I keep writing gibberish and falling down huge plot holes.

I don't listen to music all the time. I do it when I first start, to get my brain warmed up. It stops me thinking too much. No matter if I'm churning out gibberish, as long as I'm writing something. If I'm struggling to start, I write in rough, partial sentences that don't make sense. Then I edit it later.

I tend to listen to the same tracks over and over. I can't make up my mind if I think of this playlist as the soundtrack to my book. It's probably best if I don't. Most of it's quite weird - accompanied by ukelele, Marilyn Manson in stilts and brass goggles and some fabulous pop too embarrassing to mention.
 
I like to kick off with Beastie Boys, Sabotage.

In more mellow moods, I enjoy a bit of ukelele in Florence and the Machine's Beirut cover, Postcards from Italy, or the nonsensical wailing of Wild Beasts, This is Our Lot.
       
I won't put a link in to the pop. I'm too embarrassed.

More Useful Structures for Writers...

No comments:

Post a Comment